Pages

Friday, January 27, 2012

Retractable Number Line and...

We had to unscramble a sentence.


We had to figure out what the number line rule was and then we counted by 2's and filled in the missing numbers.


 We put our spelling words in alphabetical order.

My BRILLIANT coworker thought of this interactive number line. Use a retractable clothesline (we got them at home depot for $18) for a classroom number line that you can use in an instant and then put away just as fast. We also used it to create sentences, spelling, alphabetical order, etc. the possibilities are endless!!! We've used string in my classroom before but I love how accessible this is.
Here's what it looks like:)

9 comments:

  1. OH...MY... Word! I so want to try this in my room!!!!
    Thanks for the share!
    It looks like it would be so much fun!
    Great idea!
    Swamp Frog First Graders

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got a number line like that, but I never knew there was such a thing as a retractable clothesline. So it connects to the wall? Also, I've never used it for words. Nice!
    Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
  3. It easily attaches to the wall with a couple of screws. I was able to do it myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not really liking my string, so this is pretty cool. Does it stay pretty taught?

      Delete
  4. Definitely, theres a button to keep it tight after you stretch it out. I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant! I think I need to make a trip to Home Depot. Thanks so much.

      Delete
  5. THAT is an excellent idea, Jill! I've used string for numbers but never thought of words or sentences and NEVER thought of using a retractable clothesline! You are SO smart.

    Barbara
    Grade ONEderful

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. love the clothesline idea! Thanks for sharing.
    Petersons-Pad

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing idea! I'll have to check these out in Home Depot!

    Dee
    First Impressions

    ReplyDelete