Pages

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Balance the Scale

 
 
Use the numbers in the box to make both sides of the scale equal. For a great visual have the students use an actual scale and blocks to make it balance.
Blank Worksheet

The students used the blank worksheet to fill in for a friend and then they exchanged and solved them. This was a great twist and helped them really think about both sides having the same sum.
Balance the Scale Subtraction
Blank Subtraction Worksheet

Balance the Scale Activities

Balance the Scale Online Game
Bunny Balance
Fruit Balance
Poodle Balance

8 comments:

  1. Thats a very good idea. Thank you.
    Barbara
    Grade ONEderful

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fabulous. Having taught higher grades before, I know how woefully inadequate the primary grades are at preparing them for algebra. Awesome post. For anyone liking this and teaching 3rd or above, look into "Hands on Equations" training and materials. It was the first time algebra made sense to me, and I had been teaching for 20 years. An "A-ha" moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! I just awarded you the Versatile Blogger Award! Hop over and check it out! :)

    Oh My Little Classity Class

    PS: LOVE this idea as much as I love all of your other ideas! You're amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! This is a great idea - we were just discussing this type of idea on Tales of Frogs and Cupcakes the other day!

    Jennifer @ Herding Kats In Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm your newest follower and I'd like to pass the Liebster Award on to you!
     Chrissy

    First Grade Found Me

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a fantastic idea! I will be including this in my homework this week!

    Katie
    Queen of the First Grade Jungle

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is fantastic! We are beginning our number equality unit soon and am adding this idea to our lessons!

    Sarah
    Learning is for Superstars

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've used these with my first and second graders before and it was a VERY good activity. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete