Saturday, August 6, 2011

Listening Center

During reading centers I assign two students to listening center per group. Eight different students a day will visit the listening center so it doesn't get too crowded. I do this Monday through Wednesday. I change the book once a week. One student a week gets to be our listening center reader of the week. They choose an appropriate level book to read and practice reading it on Monday and Tuesday. On Wednesday I record their voice reading that book and burn it to a CD. On Thursday and Friday the students can visit when they have time to hear their friends voice reading the book. It's important for the students to hear a fluent reader so I don't keep the students CD out all week but they really enjoy hearing themselves and their friends. On Friday they get to take their CD home.